TEXAS WRANGLER BLACK BEAN SOUP MIX
Black Bean, Black Eye Pea, Carrot, Onion, Cumin, Bell Pepper, Celery, Shallot, Bay leaf and Cayenne.
Nutrition: No added salt or artificial anything, Certified Gluten Free
What you need:
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large purple onion, chopped
- 6-12 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Preparing the beans:
- Pick through the beans. Remove discolored, shriveled beans and any foreign material. Rinse well. Set aside until ready to use.
- Place in a bowl with 8 cups water and soak for 4 hours at room temperature or overnight. For a quick soak, boil for 10 minutes and let stand for 2 hours.
- Drain beans, and place in a 4 quart pot with 8 cups fresh water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover, simmer for 1- 1 1/2 hours until tender.
- Remove from heat, drain and set aside until ready to use.
Preparing the soup:
- In a 4-quart pot, sauté onion in oil over medium heat for 10 minutes, add the garlic the last 2 minutes.
- Stir in contents of Texas Wrangler Black Bean Soup vegetable packet and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Add drained, cooked beans and broth to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Using a blender or food processor, purée half the soup and return to pot.
- Stir in orange juice, cook, uncovered, on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: Garnish with sour cream, chopped purple onion, and blue tortilla chips!