LITTLE ITALY ITALIAN WEDDING SOUP MIX
Acini de Pepe Pasta (Semolina, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Panko (Unbleached Wheat Flour, Organic Cane Sugar, Yeast, Sea Salt), Onion, Carrot, Celery, Parsley, Garlic, Ground Peppercorn Blend (Black, White, Green and Pink Peppercorn, Allspice), Oregano, Bay leaf, Rosemary, Nutmeg
Nutrition: Nothing artificial.
Allergen: This product contains wheat.
What you need:
Preparing the meatballs:
To form meatballs easily, keep a bowl of cold water nearby and dip fingers between rolling meatballs.
1. Push the turkey sausage out of the casings into mixing bowl. Discard casings.
2. Add contents of smaller packet of breadcrumb mixture and egg to the bowl with the turkey. Combine mixture well.
3. Form small meatballs by hand, about 60. Set aside in refrigerator, or freezer, until ready to add to the soup.
Preparing the soup:
1. In a 6 quart pot, heat oil over medium low heat. Add onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes, then add the contents of the larger vegetable seasoning packet. (If omitting onion, add the contents of the larger vegetable seasoning packet to the oil, stir for 30 seconds. )
2. Add broth, stir and bring to a boil.
3. Add meatballs, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
4. Uncover,bring soup to a boil. Stir in tiny pasta and escarole (or spinach).
5. Return to a simmer, cover and cook 10-15 minutes. If soup is too thick, add 1-3 cups of water, as needed.
6. Serve with Parmesan cheese and crusty bread for a fine family dinner.
To boost vegetables, add 1 1/2 cups chopped pattypan squash or yellow squash with escarole. To vary vegetables, substitute 1 bulb chopped fennel for onion.
To boost whole grains, add 1/2 cup whole grain farro when adding broth. Look for whole grain farro versus pearled farro which is not whole grain. Serve with crusty whole grain bread.
To give a Mediterranean twist and to cut sodium, top each serving with 1 tablespoon chopped, unsalted pecans as substitute for optional Parmesan cheese.
To cut saturated fat and sodium, halve the amount of sausage and prepare with low-fat, lower sodium chicken sausage as substitute for Italian sausage, or substitute 1 pound extra lean ground turkey plus 1/2 teaspoon each salt-free garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper, or go Vegetarian. For ease of preparation, crumble and sauté sausage or ground turkey first, along with bread crumb mixture eliminating the need to prepare the meatballs. If using optional Parmesan cheese, sprinkle on just a tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese for each serving. Or instead of Parmesan cheese, garnish each serving with 3 or 4 fresh basil leaves.
To cut sodium, prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
You will use vegetable broth and butternut squash instead of the meat in this variation. The smaller packet of breadcrumbs is not necessary in this recipe.
What you need:
• 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
• 1 Medium Onion, Chopped, optional
• 1 Pound Butternut Squash, Peeled and Chopped into 1-inch chunks
• 3 Cloves Garlic, Diced
• 10 Cups Vegetable Broth
• 1 Head Escarole, Chopped, about 4 cups (may substitute 1 box frozen spinach)
Optional: Shredded Parmesan Cheese
Here's what you do:
1. In a 6-8 quart pot, sauté onion, squash, and garlic in oil for 3-5 minutes and then add the contents of the larger vegetable seasoning packet
2. Add broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, covered.
3. Bring soup back to a boil and add the tiny pasta, and escarole.
4. Bring heat back to a simmer, cover and cook 10-15minutes.
5. Serve with Parmesan cheese and crusty bread for a fine family dinner.
Recommended slow cooker size: 4 quart.
Preparing the Meatballs:
1. Follow directions for preparing the meatballs.
Preparing the Soup:
1. Place broth, chopped onion, meatballs, and contents of the larger seasoning packet into the bowl of 4-6 quart slow cooker.
2. Set the heat on low and let simmer 6 to 7 hours covered.
3. Add pasta packet, cover and continue to cook for 45 minutes longer and serve.
If prefer not to add the escarole, may use 8 cups of broth instead of 10 cups.