PACIFIC RIM GINGERED CARROT SOUP MIX
Red Lentil, Carrot, Onion, Crystallized Ginger, Turmeric, Cumin, Cardamom, Ground Peppercorn Blend (Black, White, Green and Pink Peppercorn, Allspice) Cinnamon and Cayenne
Nutrition: No added salt or artificial anything, Certified Gluten Free
What you need:
1. Wash thoroughly and cut carrots into 1-inch chunks. Remove ends.
2. In a 3 or 4 quart pot bring broth and carrots to a simmer.
3. Stir in contents of Pacific Rim Gingered Carrot Soup Mix and brown sugar.
4. Raise heat to bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
5. Using a hand immersion blender in the soup pot, or in batches in a food processor, puree soup, leaving some little pieces for texture.
6. Return soup to pot, add coconut milk, cook on low 5 minutes and serve.
To boost vegetables, add 1 cup diced leeks and/or 1 diced sweet potato with carrots.
To give a Mediterranean twist, add 1/4 cup unsalted, no added sugar, creamy cashew butter or peanut butter with soup mix.
To cut saturated fat, substitute lite coconut milk for coconut milk, or omit coconut milk for a simple pureed soup.
To cut sodium, prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
Gremolata Topping for Carrot Soup
• 1 lemon
• 1/2 cup packed Italian parsley
• 3 garlic cloves
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• Freshly ground black pepper
1. Remove peel from lemon with a vegetable peeler.
2. Put lemon peel and remaining ingredients in bowl of food processor.
3. Run processor until ingredients are finely minced.
4. Place a spoonful on each serving of carrot soup for a zesty Italian garnish in any season.
5. Short cut: Pick up a small container of tabbouleh at your local deli and use in the same manner as a topping.
Or, this soup may be served chilled for a summer appetizer.
1. Prepare a day ahead and refrigerate.
2. Serve with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkle of chopped pecans.