WISCONSIN LAKESHORE WILD RICE SOUP MIX
Corn Pasta, Wild Rice, Carrot, Onion, Celery, Leek, Parsley, Chive, Thyme, Bay leaf and Savory.
Nutrition: No added salt or artificial anything, Certified Gluten Free
What you need:
1. In a 6-quart pot, melt butter over low heat. Add oil and stir in contents of Wisconsin Lakeshore Wild Rice Soup Mix vegetable packet.
2. Stir in broth and bring to a boil.
3. Rinse wild rice in a strainer and add to soup pot.
4. Add chicken parts (or cut up chicken breast) and freshly ground pepper to soup pot.
5. Return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 to 60 minutes.
6. Remove chicken to cool.
7. Cut chicken meat off the bones and return to pot.
8. Bring back to a boil. Add pasta and wine, if desired. Reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
9. Add peas or asparagus during final 3 minutes of cooking time and serve.
To boost vegetables add 1 1/2 cups chopped celery and/or 1 1/2 cups bok choy with the peas or asparagus in the final 10 minutes of cooking.
To give a Mediterranean twist, add 1/2 cup sliced, blanched, unsalted almonds in final 5 minutes of cooking.
To cut saturated fat, use vegetable oil rather than butter to sauté vegetables. Remove any skin from chicken.
Recommended slow cooker size: 4 quart
1. In a skillet, toss contents of vegetables in packet lightly in butter and oil over low heat.
2. Rinse wild rice and add to bowl of slow cooker with chicken and broth.
3. Transfer vegetables to slow cooker, stir well. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours.
4. Remove chicken to cool. Cut chicken off bones and return to slow cooker. Season with pepper.
5. Add peas, asparagus, wine and pasta. Cook for 30 minutes and serve.